Sunday 3 September 2017

view from two hotel windows

The view from my hotel window at Gatwick airport didn't look quite so interestingly techno-noirish in the cold light of dawn.


One of the advantages for staying at this particular airport hotel: I left hotel reception at 6:45, walked to the automated bag drop area, used the machine to check my suitcase, walked up to departures, was processed through security, and was in the departure lounge by 7:00.  I could have had another 15 minutes sleep!  (But there would have probably been longer queues by then.)

Then we spent 45 minutes sitting in the plane at the gate, while they fixed a dodgy-looking seal.  Sitting on the tarmac at Gatwick on my way to an Artificial Life conference is getting to be a tradition.

We landed at Lyon, and I got the express tram to the city centre, then another tram to my hotel.  As I walked up to it I realised I had been there before.  Same strange decor; same helpful friendly staff; same lack of a hotel restaurant because it's Sunday.  The view from this window is a little more typical than this morning's:


The conference starts tomorrow: I'm looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment