Tuesday 18 February 2014

a surfeit of packaging

My phone started behaving strangely over the weekend: switching off for no reason, then claiming the battery was dead, but when I plugged it in to the charger, claiming the battery was half, then fully, charged.  After some searching on the web, I discovered this probably meant the battery was pining for the fjords.  Maybe not that surprising: it is 2 and a half years old, and has been maxed out on certain games at times.

More hunting on the web, and I found a place selling genuine Samsung batteries (as opposed to much cheaper batteries that the reviews seem to think are rip-offs) at eye-watering prices (I shouldn’t be surprised at the price, I suppose; I recently bought a new battery for my watch, and previously a new strap: the combined price was more than that of the original watch).  I ordered one; it arrived promptly today; the phone is now fine.  I have my life back.

Phone batteries are small and compact, so I was expecting a small parcel.  I received the battery in a plastic wrapper, in a jiffy bag, in a plastic envelope:

a lot to recycle…



No comments:

Post a Comment